Personal Injury Lawyer | Filing a Lawsuit
Personal Injury Lawyer | If an agreeable settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be necessary. There are substantial expenses that come along with filing a lawsuit, however, which should be considered before filing. The proposed settlement needs to be weighed against the cost of filing the suit.
Typical expenses involved in a lawsuit include:
- Additional attorney’s fees – a person may be represented by an attorney before filing a lawsuit. The attorney may have helped to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company. If a settlement cannot be reached, the attorney may charge additional fees for pursuing a lawsuit.
- Filing fees – certain documents filed with the court require a filing fee.
- Serving the parties – the Sheriff will charge a fee to serve the other party.
- Court reporter fees – a court reporter may be required if depositions are taken and there will be a charge for the deposition transcripts.
- Expert fees – expert medical testimony may be required.
- Copying costs – medical records, witness statements, police reports, as well as many other documents could be necessary in your case.
- Time off work – you may be required to take time off work for depositions or if the case goes to trial.
Arbitration and mediation are also two options that may be explored during a lawsuit in hopes of reaching a settlement before the suit goes to trial. At any point during the lawsuit before a final judgment is reached, the two parties may settle if they come to an agreement.
Since 1989, the personal injury lawyers of Clekis Law Firm have been representing injured people and their families in Charleston and throughout the Low Country. At the Clekis Law Firm our clients always come first. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious personal injury due to the negligence of another, don’t be victimized twice. You need someone on your side to help you with your personal injury case and obtain the fair and reasonable compensation that you deserve. Call Clekis at 843.779.1160!
For more information, Like us on Facebook!